Not every hotel on Scout has to be in a ski resort. There are often great choices (especially in Lake Tahoe) that offer something a bit different and are within a short drive of several resorts. Sunnyside Restaurant & Lodge is one of those.
- The hotel’s wonderful lakeside position – close to Tahoe City, Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows and Northstar.
- There’s a great seaside lodge-style restaurant on-site that serves decent seafood, burgers and steaks.
- The atmosphere is friendly and homely. It’s a small lodge.
- Wi-Fi is free, parking is free, and there is no resort charge.
- A continental breakfast of homemade pastries and eggs is included in the nightly rate.
- The walls of the corridors are decorated with classic family photos.
- Sunnyside is a small hamlet, about five minutes along the lake from Tahoe City where there are more restaurants and shops.
- The rooms available through Scout have only partial lake views.
- The restaurant is owned by the same chain group that owns Duke’s Restaurants.
- The hotel is part of the way through remodeling the rooms. For this winter, some will be done, others won’t be.
When you walk into Sunnyside Restaurant and Lodge, you’ll be excused for thinking you’ve made a wrong turn and have somehow wound up in a waterside restaurant overlooking San Francisco Bay. But then you’ll notice the view – with the snow-capped mountains in the distance beyond the lake – and feel reassured that you’re in the right place.
This hotel might seem like a strange choice for Scout, as we’re mainly focused on ski hotels, but we love that Sunnyside provides an alternative to the large hotels and condos in the nearby resorts. Sunnyside is closest to the Homewood Ski Resort (5 minutes), with Squaw Valley / Alpine Meadows (15 minutes) and Northstar (30 minutes) not far away.
Another great thing about Sunnyside is its lakeside position. (The rooms available on Scout offer partial lake views). Rooms are soon to be remodeled – currently they’re a little dated and simple, but they’re still perfectly comfortable. However once they’ve been upgraded to a more mountain style, you’ll certainly be feeling at home in the mountains.
The rooms that are closer to the water have better lake views, and also have a balcony off a small living area in each room. The rooms further away from the lake have wood-burning fireplaces to add a dash of romance.
Who should stay here
Sunnyside would suit couples who are looking for a peaceful and unique alternative to resort accommodation, and would like the ability to choose from various skiing mountains – all within a half hour drive.
The hotel is a short drive from Tahoe City (5 minutes), Squaw Alpine (15 minutes,) Northstar (30 minutes), and Homewood (5 minutes). It is an hour from Reno Airport.Read more about North Lake Tahoe and other hotels in the area.
- One Queen and One Sofa Bed
- Cable TV service
- Down comforter
- Flat-panel TV
- 24-hour front desk
- accessibility equipment for the deaf
- accessible bathroom
- accessible parking
- accessible path of travel
- audiovisual equipment
- babysitting or childcare
- banquet facilities
- braille or raised signage
- complimentary newspapers in lobby
- concierge services
- designated smoking areas
- fireplace in lobby
- free wi-fi
- free breakfast
- free parking
- in-room accessibility
- marina on site
- meeting facilities size (feet) - 1500
- meeting facilities size (meters) - 139
- multilingual staff
- number of buildings/towers - 1
- number of floors - 2
- number of restaurants - 2
- one meeting/conference room
- picnic area
- rv, bus, truck parking
- room service
- self parking
- ski shuttle
- ski storage
- smoke-free property
- television in lobby
- total number of rooms - 23
- tours/ticket assistance
- use of nearby fitness center (discount)
- wedding services
- year built 1987
- You must present a photo ID when checking in.
- Your credit card is charged at the time you book.
- Bed type and smoking preferences are not guaranteed.
- Your reservation is prepaid and is guaranteed for late arrival.
- The total charge includes all room charges and taxes, as well as fees for access and booking.
- Any incidental charges such as parking, phone calls, and room service will be handled directly between you and the property.
- Check-in time starts at 3 PM Check-out time is 11 AM Pets not allowed
- Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on hotel policy.
- Government-issued photo identification and a credit card or cash deposit are required at check-in for incidental charges.
- Special requests are subject to availability upon check-in and may incur additional charges. Special requests cannot be guaranteed.